Extra Extra: Washington State Historical Society
Washington State Historical Society is dedicated to collecting, preserving, and vividly presenting Washington’s rich and storied history. The Historical Society offers a variety of services to researchers, historians, scholars, and lifelong learners, as well as operating the State History Research Center and the Washington State History Museum.
Washington State Historical Society is currently hiring for three Visitor Services Representatives who are the first point of contact for visitors, therefore responsible for the initial museum experience. This position is the point-of-sale for admission, membership, some parking collection, and some sales. This position also supports the organization by answering questions of visitors and informing/selling memberships and other program offerings to visitors.
NOTE: These positions are on-call (as needed) to cover shifts primarily for planned absences of day shift staff and/or to work evening programs or events. Please do not apply if you are looking for full-time or scheduled part-time work.
Admission and Membership Sales
- Greet visitors with a positive customer service attitude
- Transact admission and membership sales utilizing the Altru point-of-sale system
- Provide overview of rules while visiting the museum and answer questions
- Perform clerical functions in the absence of other work or other staff, such as answering phones or preparing information packets and other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities:
- High school graduate or equivalent and one (1) year of clerical experience
- Ability to sit and stand for long periods of time
- Ability to handle cash
- Ability to multi-task such as engaging visitors in friendly conversation while processing point of sale transaction
- Ability to provide accurate information about museum exhibits, events and programs, admissions and parking rates, etc
- Ability to compose, send, and respond to electronic email
Desired Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge and experience working with Altru point-of-sale system
- Experience working in a museum (clerical, fiscal or admission counter capacity) for one (1) year or more
- $14.42 – $18.48 per hour